Monday, March 24, 2014

How to Make Tortillas That Don't Look Like Continents... And Fish Tacos!

Homemade Tortillas/Roti

 Grilled Fish Tacos with Fiesta Yogurt Dressing!

I'm going to share some tricks I learned to making tortillas. You can make tortillas that don't look like continents too! (Not that anyone complains when it's homemade tortillas!)

Dough after it's rested for 30 minutes or more and separated into 22 chunks.

4 cups Atta or Indian Wheat flour, 1 Tablespoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons graham masala (or more), 2 Tablespoons olive oil and water. Maybe 2 cups? Stir dry ingredients. Add oil. Add water slowly and stir in enough until it makes a nice dough. Kneed for a couple minutes, cover bowl of dough with a towel and let rest for at least 30 minutes. (Very important to let it rest! It will roll out very nicely if you do so.) Break up into chunks and keep covered as you take out each one to roll out one by one. 

 I follow my Indian friends example and don't measure anything. Using 4 cups of flour will make about 2 dozen 6"-sized tortillas. 

Any tortilla recipe will do! But to learn how to make tortillas that don't look like continents is actually somewhat difficult if you don't know a few tricks. I learned this from a Chinese Canadian friend who taught me how to make Chinese Dumplings or Jiaozi with homemade dough. 


Completely cover ball of dough in flour. Flatten with fingers to be a round flattened cookie shape. 

Have plenty of flour on the counter or surface you are using. AND start the rolling pin 2/3 in and press down as you roll OUT. Slight turn and do it again and again with slight turns each time. If sticks to counter use more flour. You only roll starting from the inside and rolling it away each time. 

As you turn it about 15 degrees each time it will start to look like this! Totally round. It's quite impressive really. I have been making homemade tortillas for a long time before I learned how to do this. 


Keep your flat skillet on a medium low heat while you roll out the tortillas. I dust off the tortilla a bit before I put it on the pan. It will bubble up just a bit like this before you need to turn it over. 

This is what it looks like when it's done. 


I used these for fish tacos the other night and they were SO good! 

The dressing I used was plain yogurt mixed with Feista Ranch Dressing Mix. Highly recommend. It's good for taco salads and veggie dips too. Go Fiesta Ranch! I also make my own plain yogurt in a yogurt maker. Super easy and we love it. 

I'm sharing this fish marinade recipe because it was delicious! 

 Marinade for Fish

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar (any vinegar will do)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (or lemon)
2 teaspoons lime zest (or lemon)
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (I added less for the kiddies)
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste (optional)
1 pound tilapia fillets, cut into chunks (I left them whole and broke up after grilled)

Whisk together ingredients. Place tilapia in shallow dish and pour the marinade over the fish. Cover and refrigerate 6-8 hours. I only did 4 for mine and they still turned out amazing. I used a grill pan on the stove too. Toppings: Shredded cabbage, chopped tomatoes, cilantro and lime wedges. I used lettuce because that's what I had on hand. I even used some homemade refried beans because again, had them on hand! 



1 comment: