Thursday, April 3, 2014

Moganshan Trail Run Half Marathon

Start line! 

Carston Feigelsen and Steven Sheffield let me tag along! We drove up from Hangzhou the day of the race and represented! Carston, a BYU Hawaii cross-country runner, placed 2nd. Steven placed 6th overall. And I won for the girls! 13.1 miles (21km). There was also a relay option and we couldn't really understand why anyone would go all this way to run 7km. But by the time it was over I think we all understood! 

This was the toughest course I've ever ran. It was a 30% incline at one point. There were several inclines that had to be walked among the many ups and downs. It was rainy, muddy, slippery and steep--and incredibly beautiful! We ran through bamboo forests, rivers, muddy trails; along narrow ridges and under and over fallen bamboo trees. Did I mention how slippery this run was? It was really fun and I loved it. And I was so happy to cross the finish line! It really was crazy. Hard core. There were parts that I was literally pulling myself up the mountain by hanging on to bamboo trees. It was that steep and that slippery. I was pretty muddy by the end. Great race!

There was a gal, Camden, in front of me that I didn't catch up to until half way through the race. She was awesome. I think she does lots of events. Hope to catch up to her again someday!

This is after the beast of a mountain we just climbed. It really is gorgeous. This is the only pic I took while running the race. I was that knackered that I could actually stop and snap a shot. Good thing I recover quickly! 

The best part of being the number one girl was that Brian was so proud of me! And Carston and Steven thought they would be waiting a long time for me and they said they underestimated me. It was funny to hear them apologize! I assured them that I was very happy to exceed their expectations even though I was relatively a lot slower then they were.

The Bamboo Guest House's veggie delivery.
I think this picture is so funny! Don't make me ask it...

Countryside in Moganshan. On the walk up to the start line. 

Harvested bamboo.


 It's beautiful countryside. You can see the fell these trees and are harvesting them. 





1 comment:

  1. Wow! Great job! It does look like a fabulous view… one might stop along the way just to look, and never get back to running (that would be me :)

    ReplyDelete