Sunday, January 25, 2015

Be Merry! Homemade Christmas Gifts and Crafts


Be merry! We made these burlap banners--Dec. 3rd--a great way to start the December month! Thank you Pinterest for the idea. We had a good time! Me, Neha, Natalie Foxwell, Natalie Manning, Christy, Becca, Dawn, Susan, Lisa, Rubina and Yanti. My ladies/partners in crime.



Some cute gifts for my gals! Merry Kissmas! xx! And what woman wouldn't like Mac Superwoman lipstick or Chanel lipstick? Yes please! 


I made these "wrapping paper" gifts. Ribbon, tape and sheets of wrapping paper. Callie was like, "Wait, what? Your wrapping wrapping paper?" It's practical but cool right? It's actually hard to find here in China. 
For teachers: "Since school started you've been teaching, barely sleeping, hardly stopping. Now its late, you're in a scrape, out of paper or out of tape. Hope this wrap helps save the day! Have a Happy Holiday!"
For friends: "Since November you've been busy, barely sleeping, hardly stopping. Now its late, you're in a scrape, out of paper or out of tape. Hope this wrap helps save the day! Have a Happy Holiday!"


I made some cinnamon candied almonds. But they just didn't turn out. The recipe called for butter but they were just too oily. And so I botched like 9 cups of almonds!

So I came up with these beauties. Homemade Rockyroad. Cinnamon candied almonds, roasted peanuts, pieces of marshmallows and dark chocolate. I added peppermint to the chocolate for some of them. YUM! I put them in mini cupcake papers and in clear plastic containers. I made these cute burlap ornaments with felt trees too. Tied them on with ribbon. And viola! Merry Christmas!





A farewell gift to a good friend, Jerry Joseph. I took this picture about a year ago and it's Hangzhou-esque. It was taken near the Xanadu Crown Plaza in Xiao Shan. Jerry was a huge part of our community at the Hangzhou International School and just a good friend to me and my family. He's also from Newport, CA so we are bros. We had a little farewell get together for him. I can't remember what exactly I said but I meant every word. I and many appreciate him opening up his home to my family and teaching my children how to skateboard and doing so much at the school for our children. Love you Jerry!


Jerry and the ladies.

These were SO good! I just frosted them instead of rolling them in sugar. Seriously- amazingly yummy!

Soft Sugar Cookies

Ingredients:

2/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup butte
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup granulated sugar for decoration

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, shortening and sugar. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt, stir into the creamed mixture until dough comes together. Roll dough into walnut sized balls and roll the balls in sugar. Place them on an unprepared cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
  3. Bake cookies 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until bottom is light brown. Remove from baking sheets to cool on wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment